Skip to main content

Baby movements

Today is one of those gloomy, rainy days, with the wind howling outside and when the best feeling is being able to cozy up on the couch at home with a hot drink and a book. Except that I'm not reading a book right now.

Apart from TV, books, magazines, blogs and Facebook, one of my favourite forms of entertainment is sitting on a couch with my belly exposed, watching it move and wriggle. It's a surreal form of entertainment, and I'm hardly thinking about the fact that it's MY belly. I'm just completely absorbed in waiting and watching for the next twitch and jiggle.

Hubby finds it entertaining to watch me entertaining myself this way. But sometimes he's also sitting next to me, exclaiming excitedly along with me every time we see or feel another pop.

There are actually different variations of movements. I was curious to know what on earth the little man inside was up to each time he came up with something new. I came across this article which outlines the different types of fetal movements.

The common ones I feel are:
  • Rolling and sliding - This feels like a wriggly, squirmy movement and is apparently him rolling around to a different position. Sometimes if I happen to be watching, I can literally see a tiny protrusion on my belly sliding across from one side to another. These are the movements that are most fun to watch.
  • Kicking and punching - This is one of the more common terms used... i.e. "is the baby kicking?". As per the term, it's simply a sharp jerk felt inside. I usually picture the little man stretching and kicking against my belly with his feet or punching me with his hands. It doesn't feel painful at all at this stage, but I've heard that it can be as he gets bigger and stronger in the final weeks.
  • Vibrations or spasms - This is the movement I feel the most often several times each day. Apparently it's meant to be hiccups. Yes, apparently they start doing that even from inside. Sometimes I feel just two or three spasms and then it stops, and sometimes the spasms are more rhythmic and go on at intervals every few seconds for a minute or two.
I'm now well over three quarters of the way through my pregnancy at 29 weeks. Sometimes it crosses my mind that I might miss this feeling having my baby so close right inside me all the time... with none of the crying and fussing which is bound to happen when he gets out. But I guess it's just a whole different dimension we'll be talking about by then. In the meantime, I'll just simply enjoy the here and now.

Comments

  1. I love this post :) Wish I could sit there with u too just wathing ur belly :) would have been fun. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading every single one of them! Although I may not be able to reply to each comment, I will definitely pop over to your blog to say hello.

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers alike. If you're a little shy or would like to get in touch with me directly, drop me an email at serenely@outlook.com

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »