Skip to main content

Early thoughts on potty training

DSC01964So today out of the blue during lunch, Nathan pauses mid-bite and says to me “poo-poo”. Now he’s learnt how to say “poo-poofor a while now to tell me when he’d done a poo. So I get up to sniff his bum and peek inside his nappy. No poo.

After a minute or so, he paused and called out “poo-poo” again – a little more earnestly this time. But after another check, still no sign of poo. I was a little puzzled. Then on a whim, I decided to whisk out the potty set I had and plonk him down on it.

He was midway through a poo as I plonked him down, but he managed to make a small deposit successfully.

I cheered and hoorayed enthusiastically after he finished and let him examine his poo afterwards. He was extremely fascinated with it.

DSC01967

My potty training attempts have been fairly erratic over the past few months since I got this potty set. I had read up on early potty training methods, but always found it challenging to make Nathan sit still in the potty whilst waiting for something to happen.

I decided not to force it and just see how things went. It would be pretty stressful constantly hovering over my child and nagging him if he needs to use the potty – especially if he has no inkling of what on earth I’m talking about.

I once read a quote that said “…in the long run, it doesn’t matter if they are toilet trained at 6 months or 3 years… eventually they will be trained”. Maybe he’s ready now or will be soon. In any case, I’ll take it one step at a time and let him learn at his own pace.

I might wait until the weather turns warmer so he can run around in plain underwear and won’t have to fiddle around with long trousers/pants and layers of clothing. Plus managing the increase in laundry (due to accidents) would be less of a hassle in sunny weather.

In the meantime, I’ll be reading up and getting all geared up for the plunge. If you have any thoughts or tips on the whens and hows, do share!

Some interesting articles I’ve found on toilet training:
http://toilettraining4toddlers.blogspot.com.au/
http://www.littlellamas.com/2009/08/potty-training-101.html
http://www.memoriesoncloverlane.com/search/label/Potty%20Training

Comments

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »