Skip to main content

Gardening experience with Nathan

DSC01986Last week on one of my SAHM days, I decided to take advantage of the free school holiday activities at the nearby shopping centre.

The highlight for that week was a Dirt Girl World gardening activity – each child got to decorate their own pot and plant a little seedling to take home.

As a general rule I do not like gardening. But I thought it was a good opportunity for Nathan to explore the wonderful world of dirt and soil without me having to worry about cleaning up the mess afterward.

Here are some photos I snapped at the activity…

This is little oregano seedling I chose for him to plant

DSC01987

He helped to scoop the soil with a trowel and gently pat down the little seedling the assistant placed in the container

Nathan getting engrossed in marker colour choices

DSC01985 DSC01984

Once we arrived home, we transferred the seedling into our garden
(as advised by the assistants at the activity corner)

The transplanting of the seedling to our garden was not part of my original plan. But I did want to give the baby oregano a chance instead of just dumping it aside. Nathan wanted to “help” so things got a little messy there, but I bore with it for his sake and the little seedling’s.

DSC01992

I even put my (*gasp*) bare hands into the earth to position the seedling and pat the soil around it properly. The soil felt cool and crumbly in my hands – the texture was not too different from brown sugar and flour. If I could rub butter in flour, I could handle this. For a brief moment, I had a glimpse of the thrill those gardening advocates feel fingering the cool earth around their flowers, shrubs and trees. But it was just for a moment, I don’t think I’ll be adding gardening to my list of hobbies just now.

All in all, it was a great first time gardening experience for Nathan, with a bonus addition to our little herb plot.

Comments

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »