Skip to main content

A gingerbread day!

I think almost everyone grew up knowing the classic story of the gingerbread man.

It’s a great story to play –very simple and catchy story with repetitive rhymes that are easy for little ones to remember.

Run, run as fast as you can,
You can’t catch me,
I’m the gingerbread man!

DSC05210

So we made a gingerbread man puppet. And we re-enacted the story together.

It was fun coming up with improvisations using different animals and characters… because let’s face it, EVERYONE wants to eat the gingerbread man.

DSC05209

After all that imaginary eating of the gingerbread man, we started to get pretty hungry. So we made lots more little gingerbread men. REAL ones this time.

DSC05194

And then comes the best part… Chomping them up!

DSC05199

Nathan’s gingerbread man disappeared very quickly. So I asked him what happened to it…

It’s sleeping”, he said.

Sleeping? Where?”, I asked.

In my tummy!”, he grinned.

DSC05201

I quite liked the gingerbread men recipe I used. Very easy, with just a handful of ingredients. Sharing the recipe here in case some of you feel a craving coming on…

Quick and Easy Gingerbread Men
(Makes approx 2 dozen men)

Ingredients
2 cups plain flour
1/2 tspn baking soda
1 tbsp ground ginger
1 cup brown sugar
150g butter
1 egg, beaten

Method
Preheat oven to 180°C. Sift flour, baking soda and ginger together. Add in brown sugar.
Add butter and rub with fingertips or pulse in food processor until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
Add egg and mix together to form a soft dough. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Roll out dough on lightly floured surface and cut out gingerbread shapes with cookie cutters.
Place gingerbread men on a lined tray and bake for 8-10 minutes until golden brown.
Allow gingerbread to cool completely before decorating. I made a simple icing by mixing 1/2 cup of icing sugar with 1 1/2 tspn water.

 

Have you ever played out a story book with your kids? What are some of your favourite ones to play?

 

Linking up to Jess’s IBOT

Comments

  1. Mmm I love the gingerbreadman! One of my fave stories growing up.. I think I have that exact same copy as you too :)


    Ai @ Sakura Haruka

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sleeping in my tummy comment. I also love gingerbread. Looking forward to trying your recipe, thanks for sharing

    Leaving some fairy wishes and butterfly kisses from #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would you believe my kids were a bit scared when I first read this to them?? Of the fox! Mum makes these with my oldest, maybe I should give a shot! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't shared this story with my boy. Love the idea of making different types of gingerbread men, especially the ones for eating!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading every single one of them! Although I may not be able to reply to each comment, I will definitely pop over to your blog to say hello.

I love hearing from readers and fellow bloggers alike. If you're a little shy or would like to get in touch with me directly, drop me an email at serenely@outlook.com

More Popular Posts



DSC07989Our DIY outdoor chalkboard

Today’s entry is not so much a post as it is just a way to showcase the latest addition to our outdoor play area… Our new mega sized outdoor chalkboard!

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


SnailCraftCollage2Learning about snails

This past week has been all about snails.The children are always fascinated by the snails in our garden and ask endless questions about them.A couple of weeks back, one of my boys stumbled across a snail crawling along the ground.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


[image%255B6%255D.png]DIY magnet shapes

A couple of weeks ago, I had posted this snapshot of these set of magnetic shapes I made on my Instagram. I received a few curious questions on how I made them.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC06501A_thumb[1]Three Questions

And so Nathan’s very first day of kindergarten is over. It was a mixture of good, bad, sweet and sour. I think that so much happens throughout the day, it can be challenging for a little person to filter through it all.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »


DSC05282My cup runneth over

These days my days are packed full to the brim. From the moment I wake up to the sound of Grace calling through the baby monitor and Nathan’s cheeky face peering at me over the edge of the bed… to the evening when I finally tuck them into bed and say goodnight.

READ THE REST OF THIS ENTRY »